Astym is a therapy approach that addresses problems such as scarring, fibrosis and degeneration that occur in soft tissues. These problems may develop as the result of trauma, surgery or overuse. Astym is effective for new injuries as well as chronic, nagging conditions. Astym treatment uses instruments along the surface of the skin to locate these problem areas and start the body’s healing process. As the body heals, exercise and activity help guide the healing which allows you to return to activities without pain and limitation. The success of Astym is documented for a wide variety of diagnoses and many times it helps patients where other treatments have Astym treatment is used in settings ranging from therapy clinics to hospitals to industrial rehabilitation. This proven treatment improves countless lives every day.
What can you expect with Astym treatment?
- An Astym-certified clinician will use the instruments to treat not only painful areas, but also other problem areas that may contribute to your condition.
- During treatment, you may feel areas that are “rough” or “bumpy.” These are the areas that need to be addressed.
- Over the course of treatment you will notice that as these rough areas smooth out, your pain will decrease and your function will increase.
- Following treatment, you may notice some bruising and soreness to touch in areas that were rough. This shows that the body is addressing the abnormal tissue through the natural healing process.
- You will receive a custom-designed stretching and exercise program to help your body rebuild healthy tissue and allow you to return to an active lifestyle.
- Most patients experience a significant change in their symptoms in the first 3–4 visits.